Sunday 11 November 2012

Who Is Really 'Living Better...?"



Uh-oh...I could feel another rant boiling up inside of me today... I had to let it out....please comment if you agree or if you disagree. I'd love to hear from you...


Walmart's motto to "Save Money...Live Better" drives me bonkers like nothing else in this world does. I'm not exactly sure why this is. But constantly, I ask myself every time I pass by- "Who IS it that is living better, exactly??"


Is it the people that frequent their store? Those that buy their inexpensive shirts that will inevitably stretch, shrink, fade or pill before next season? But- no matter...it was so cheap that they can afford to buy another...and another...and..... Or, let's put clothing aside- I have a friend who had to go back 3 times to purchase the same steam mop because it kept breaking. So, I have to ask, is that
"Living Better?"


What about the people in developing nations that lose their clean water, clean air, forests, valleys, etc. so that our Big Box Stores could be full to overflowing with plastic, off-gassing "stuff"... Do we believe that they are "Living Better?"


Bringing it back closer to home...What about the employees of our local Big Box Stores (and many other retailers) that have decided that they will hire a majority of 'part-time' employees, but make them work full-time hours- just so that they can avoid paying any medical benefits? Are those employees "Living Better?"


My friends, I don't claim to know all of the answers- but I just hope to encourage people to be prompted to ask questions. I want to stress that in no means do I judge or dislike anyone if they work in retail of any kind. I realize that in this economy, a job is a job. I know the importance of putting food on the table for your family- believe me. I know that this is the way 'our world works'. I just choose to live apart from that as much as I can...and hope to pass on the challenge to question and not to swallow everything that we are told...



One of my favourite little videos to watch on this subject is The Story Of Stuff. It takes about 20 minutes, but is well worth it.












Happy Rememberance Day, friends. Lest we forget that we have the freedom to think, to challenge, to worship, to live, all because others before us gave their lives.


Love to all.



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you SO MUCH!

    (other company motto pet peeves are "Scotia Bank: You're richer than you think." Yeah, okay, F-U Scotia Bank. Then of course, Have a Happy Period. Always.)

    I dislike Walmart for so many reasons. It's been an ongoing battle for me to STOP shopping there. With my limited income, sometimes I have to use my last 20 (or whatever) to buy cough medicine for the kids, milk, advil, and the money has to stretch enough for everything.

    Thanks for posting this rant.

    -Leah
    (I post under sunshine morning star because that is my old blogging name and I can't figure out how to get rid of it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for your feedback, Leah. I realize that is a huge struggle to balance personal beliefs with the money that we are left with at the end of the month...I'm just so happy to hear when people are at least thinking about it. Blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...