Thursday 21 April 2016

Shop Your Life!












I needed a few days of R&R this week and took off to the Niagara Region. I just happened to be there on the most beautiful days of the year so far and enjoyed some wine tasting/ tours and some cider drinking in the sun. It was lovely.



One of the mornings I was lounging in my VERY comfortable bed and caught the Marilyn Denis show. This particular show was on how to "Shop Your Life"- so OF COURSE I was interested!



It was a great show on How to reuse old paint that you have lying around, how to shop the food in your refrigerator, and how to make money selling things that you don't need/use anymore.


But, my favourite part? Tips on having a successful Clothing Swap. As you all know (I hope)- I am a HUGE Cothing Swap fan. So I am beyond thrilled that this segment made them look fun, easy, and something anyone can do with their friends (because it's TRUE).


I also like the suggestions made on how to have a great Swap- they referred to them as Style Swaps, which makes them seem a little more high-end in my opinion.


** Have them at the end of seasons. 

I definitely agree with this point. As she noted, it is already a time of transition and it is a perfect time to remove the things from your wardrobe that you would normally just pack away for the following year.





** Invite your friends.

Don't leave out the pregnant friends, either- it's a great spot to get clothing for that time (and the time after having children when nothing fits). She says (and this is one of my tried-and-true points) do not stick to one size. She also notes to always have a belt handy (another one of my tips- check out the finds from my last Clothing/ Style Swap HERE). Many of those items only looked good on me when belted.






** Everything goes in the dryer.

I've never bothered with this tip- but if you and your friends are wary of bugs (bed bugs, lice, moths), you can put everything through the dryer to kill any unwanted visitors.






** Wear a bathing suit under your clothing.

She recommends this so that you can try on clothing easily without waiting for a washroom/ change room.  I recommend wearing leggings and a tank to, myself for the same reason. Whatever works for you. In my experience, we've never batted an eye while friends got down to their skivvies, either. ;)




Check out the Style Swap segment at the beginning of Tuesday's Marilyn Denis Show:




 http://www.marilyn.ca/video?vid=851754




Blessings, friends. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...