Friday 14 September 2018

Who Am I Anyway??




I realized today that I have never really introduced myself. Or told my story- an abbreviated version, of course!


Over the last 20 years I have had the following terms used to describe me:


Pastor's Wife. Divorcee. Infertile. Knocked-up. Engaged three times. Runaway bride. Depressed, unable to get out of bed. Independant home owner. Single Mom. Step Mom



I think some of you may have the incorrect impression that I have it all together. It’s true that I may appear that way.


But here’s a little about me…


I moved to Calgary when I was 20 from Thunder Bay. I became certified as an aesthetician and got married there. We moved to Hamilton in 2003 so my (then) husband could get his Master’s Degree in Divinity at McMaster and I finished Hairstyling School in 2004.


We struggled many years with infertility. Then we had my oldest son (now 11). I still remember those dark times of wanting to be a mother SO BADLY- but they were somehow forgotten, as well. While I was pregnant with my second son, my (then) husband and I split up.


Those were difficult times as a single working mother. I remember nursing my baby in a sling while I gave my clients pedicures in my living room. But you know what? That time makes me SO PASSIONATE about helping other women.


As if dealing with Infertility and Divorce were not enough- I then had an unexpected pregnancy while I was a single mom! (Blog post here) Ooops. When I had my third son I was not even on speaking terms with his father. Shortly after my youngest son’s birth, we tried hard to make it work and to be a family- even to the point of getting engaged. But I called off the wedding 5 weeks before walking down the aisle (Blog post here).


Fast forward to now.


I am married to a man that I adore AND I have struggled through a heart-breaking divorce. I now have 5 kids/ stepkids, AND I wept my way through years of Infertility. I have been a Single Mom who was able to buy 2 houses ON MY OWN- AND my ex-husband and I went to Food Banks when we were young, newly married and broke.


I have always LOVED mountains. They are why I wanted to move to Calgary (and also my friend Danielle!). The wonderous immensity of them- they always take my breath away!


That is probably why this quote resonates so much with me- "You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be MOVED."



I have battled through. I am strong. But I have also felt weak.


And I am SO privileged to be able to have found a  job that lets me encourage, cheer on, and watch other women work toward their dreams. And find strength in themselves.


If you are curious about what it is that I do, or just feel like you are ‘looking for more’- contact me! I’d LOVE to chat!


Blessings, friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...