Friday 2 December 2016

My Repurposed Hunk Of Plywood Christmas Sign











While looking for something in my garage the other day, I came across a few 'hunks' of plywood. I call them hunks only because they weren't cut in any real fashion except to be able to fit into my vehicle.




While fixing a hole in my floor a few weeks ago, to my annoyance, the plywood depth that I needed only came in a HUGE piece. And it was $40 dollars. I needed such a small scrap-of-a-piece for my floor- but I assured myself that I would find use for all the other pieces one day.





And so I have.





I have a very large, empty spot on my wall above the sectional in my living room.









For the last 2 months, since I've moved in, I've been debating what to put up in that space. 





Well, at least for now- I have something to put there. A painted wooden sign. And every time I look at it, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I made it with my own 2 hands. I LOVE that.









I started out with my 2 'hunks' of plywood.









I then painted one grey (I picked up a quart of this grey colour for $3 in the mis-tints at Home Depot- and am painting my stairs/railings with this colour as well. Post on that to come), and painted the other a teal colour that I had hanging around, as well (I used this teal colour for the vanity in my last home- you can read that post here).









The grey one I envisioned as a night sky with 3 wise men on a hilly terrain- very similar to this reclaimed wood sign that I loved found here






First I painted the terrain the same teal colour as the other sign. I plan to hang them next to one another, so the colours will work nicely.





I then chalked in the lettering first. This is a great way to get sizing/ spacing right with no commitment at all. Once I had the lettering to my satisfaction, I simply painted over the chalk with white paint.










While I had the white paint out, I painted on the Wise Men with their camels. I free-handed while looking at these photos as a guide.













I debated using the white for the lettering for the word ADORE, but I'm pleased that I decided to go with the teal instead.













I added some stars in the white paint, and went over it with some silver that I had in my basement.

 






 


In the end, I also added some silver to the word ADORE. And, I'm very happy that I did.








So, there you have it, friends. A wooden Christmas sign that cost $0 dollars to make. The plywood was sitting unused in my garage, and the paint was already in my possession.





I will post soon on the other sign once it is finished and I have them both hung up on my wall.





Thanks for reading.





Blessings. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...