Monday 8 August 2016

My Thrifted Backyard Oasis Chandelier





Now that I am a single mom again, I do relish the ability to make things girly and pretty around my home.



I really wanted to add a relaxing backyard oasis feeling to my kijiji-ed plastic patio furniture.



First off, I knew that I wanted some light and airy curtains. I had a set of those white mosquito-type netting curtains that I have seriously had in my possession FOREVER. Since I haven't bought anything at Ikea in about- oh, 5 years or so- I don't even remember what my plan was for them. But I still held on to them.


Then I found a matching set at Bibles For Missions Thrift Shop. They had priced each panel at $4.00, and I was quite happy with that. 


I attached them to my portable sun cover with some twine and I feel like it dressed it up significantly.







I then headed over to the Re-Source Thrift Shop
to look for a chandelier. Partly because I've seen a good selection of lighting there, and partly because it is the closest thrift shop to me.


I found this 'vintage' (a nice way of saying ugly??) light fixture for $12.00. I figured if I removed most of the busyness of it- it would do what I needed it to do. And that was just look pretty.




And after I had taken off the outer 'shell', given it a couple of coats of white spray paint, and cut off the wires (since I had absolutely no way of hooking it up to an electrical source anywhere in my backyard) I was extremely pleased with the result.





I attached the base of the light to my sun cover with white zip ties- which did the trick nicely.




But when I reattached the chandelier to the base, I realized that it, unfortunately, sat way too high.







So out I ran to Home Depot. I picked up some white links and presto, with a bit of elbow grease- I think my backyard Oasis is complete.









Thanks for reading, friends!



Blessings.




1 comment:

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...