Tuesday 23 April 2013

10 Spring Street-Style Hair Trends....And My Green Tips For Each





I figured it was about time for another post on hair.




I came across Flare's post on 10 Street-Style Hair Trends , and decided that I could add a 'Green' tip to each trend. :)





First of all, let me say how much I LOVE reading about 'Street-Style'. As a stylist, I have access to all the newest trends as soon as they come out....but most trends will never make it to the streets of Hamilton, for instance.




So, here are the Top 10 Hair Trends for Spring according to Flare. And I do agree with, and love, most of them.







1. Un-done Hair






This may be one of the easiest styles to 'Go Green' with. No flat-irons, curling irons or wands needed. Simply rake your fingers through your hair and go. You can spray you locks with a Salt Spray, if you wish- Here is a recipe for an all natural, DIY Salt Spray:




Sea Salt Hair Spray
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 tablespoons of sea salt or coarse salt
  • 1 tablespoon of oil (coconut* or olive oil works well)
  • 4 – 5 drops of vanilla essential oil)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of alcohol (vodka or rubbing alcohol


Put the salt and the water in a pot, and heat it just until the salt dissolves. Remove from heat. Add the oil, vanilla, and alcohol and let it cool. When cool, pour into a spray bottle. Spritz on hair. Do not rinse.




2. Short Styles






There are SO many adorable short styles out there right now...think Michelle Williams or Rihanna... Short hair tends to get greasy quicker than long hair, likely because the oil has longer to travel on longer hair. To 'Go Green' with short hair, opt for a natural dry shampoo every other day instead of washing it every day to save water.








3. Ombre Hair






The trick to the ombre hair trend is to make it look like your ends have been lightened by the sun over time. It should be a natural look. For a 'Green' Ombre look, try using lemon juice on your ends of you locks when you will be out in the sun.






4. Top Knots






Possibly my favourite style trending right now. This style is the ultimate in 'Green'. No heat needed, no washing (so you save water). just grab a hair elastic, some bobby pins, and you are on your way to looking fabulous. Check out my previous post on top knots. 







5. White Blonde







Well, I have to say friends, I am having a tough time coming up with a 'Green' tip for achieving the ultimate in blonde hair. I suppose if you DO go for this trend, you can save on water by using a natural dry shampoo.... With hair this light you could go with  baby powder, or I suppose cornstarch or even flour would work!! Just dust it on your roots and brush through.







6. Embracing Your Natural Texture






Again, this is a trend that is super easy to 'Go Green' with. You can use the Salt Spray that is mentioned above, for beautiful I-feel-like-I-live-by-the-beach curls and waves. Curly and wavy hair tends to be on the drier side, so washing this type of hair less is definitely best (saving more water).







7. Candy Colours




Hmmmm...another tough one to make 'Green'. Instead of using peroxide to lighten you hair and then a chemical colour over top- I think that using  Kool-Aid would be the greener option to achieve candy-inspired hair colours.







 8. The Center Part




The center part is a tough part to pull off. It is also a tougher trend to make 'Green'. It is unforgiving and shows any trace of oil. to cut back on washing, and to save some water, try an all-natural  DIY dry shampoo.



9. Braids :)




I am desperately in love with braids right now. Maybe it's the hippie in me. Maybe it's my gypsy background. I love them. Another ultimate in 'Green' style, braids simply require an elastic, or string or a piece of twine (etc...etc...) to secure the ends. Simple, yes? 'Green'? You betcha. No heat or chemicals needed here.





10. Blunt Bangs




The easiest way to make your blunt bangs turn 'Green' is to only wash them, and not your entire head of hair. As long as your bangs look freshly washed and squeaky-clean, the rest of your hair will appear to be, too.









I hope this was a helpful post. Let me know if any of you out there have any 'Green' hair tips or tricks. I'd love to hear them.




Peace.







No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...