Thursday 4 February 2016

Around The Home- My Renewed Kitchen













Two Years ago I bought my home. 


At the time of purchase, my kitchen looked like this:









 Two years ago, I decided to embrace the warm oak cabinets and opted for red walls and put up a brick wallpaper back splash.







 But then, a few months ago, the dark walls and cupboards started to make me feel like the walls were caving in on me.




 I decided to paint my cabinets myself. This was definitely the most cost-effective way to do this job.... but it also took MUCH longer than I thought that it would. Like- months longer. 

I tackled 3 or 4 doors at a time, which usually ended up taking a weekend to finish. First the removal of the doors, the deglossing, then 2 coats of paint and finally replacing the doors (with new hardware).






As I worked away at the doors, I realized that I would like to change the back splash as well. I had white subway tiles in mind- something like and bright.

On a whim, I decided to try to paint the 'bricks' on the wallpaper that was up a more neutral tone. And you know what? For now- I love it! And it cost me a whole $4.






You can read HERE about how I replaced my oven with a stainless oven I found on kijiji. And also about how I painted my existing exhaust hood and dishwasher with some inexpensive appliance paint. 




I'm still on the lookout for a second-hand stainless steel fridge.





 And lastly, I did a little redo on the ceiling fan that has probably been here since the home was built.





I removed the fan blades.



And sprayed them with chalkboard paint. Really, only because that was what I had on hand.


(Other awesome ways to use chalkboard paint around the home here.)




The finished product: 





So, for the cost of a cabinet-painting-kit (I believe it was around $125), a new-to-me oven,  and a lot of elbow grease, I was able to transform my kitchen to a bright and cheery room that I now love to be in. I feel like I can now take a deep breath and relax.


No more walls caving in on me.


What a great feeling. :)












Thanks for reading. 





Blessings, friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...