Wednesday 19 August 2015

A Little Kitchen Redo





About a year and a half ago, I was able to purchase my first home- owned solely by me. It was a huge accomplishment- one that I am very proud of.



I looked for one that needed a bit of updating- a home that I could make my own.


I fell in love with a semi-detached that had plenty of room for me and my 3 boys, but that had all of the outside maintenance taken care of. 




The inside definitely needed some updating. This is what the dining room looked like when I bought:





 After living with taupe walls for 3 years while renting- I initially went bold with my colour choice for my kitchen/ dining room. This colour was Rodeo Red by Behr. I loved how cozy this colour felt at the time- but after a while that 'cozy' feeling started to feel like the walls were closing in on me.








 Now, a year and a half later- I longed for the calming effect of taupe again. This time I chose Cappuccino Froth by Behr. I love how just a fresh coat of paint can make the room feel brand new, brighter, and even larger than before. (I also put down a vinyl plank floor in Driftwook Oak)


















 This was my kitchen when I purchased my home. I loved all of the cupboard space- but did not love the colour.





I was quite happy with it after the Rodeo Red went on the walls. I used a faux-brick wallpaper as a temporary backsplash.
















 After painting the kitchen taupe, I decided to do some updating on the appliances. You can see in the above photo that the appliances were a lovely ivory colour. I found a stainless steel oven on kijiji that was a year old for $400.






 But my range hood was still ivory. I picked up some black appliance paint and decided to try painting my hood- that was still in great working order. After 2 coats, I am SO pleased with the results! You would never know it didn't come installed in black!








 I then turned to my ivory dishwasher. I decided to try stainless steel contact paper on the main tub part and painted the bottom black.







 I absolutely love the results. For a $12.99 roll of paper and a couple of coats of appliance paint- it looks like a totally different dishwasher!















 Here is my finished redo on my dishwasher and range hood...and also a sneak peek at my current project- my painted cupboards!






More updates to come on my cupboards, friends! Stay tuned!



Thanks for reading and I hope I've inspired you to breathe new life into some old items, instead of replacing them! You'll have an amazing sense of accomplishment and our earth will thank you!




Peace.



3 comments:

  1. You are brilliant. I think I might just paint my range hood! Is it a spray paint or brush? If you used a brush, what kind did you use to apply it? Are there brush marks? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a small sponge roller for the majority, a paint brush for the corners, etc. If you are going to do black, I have most of a can left that you can use! No brush marks, since I barely used a brush.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

100 Days Sober

*Trigger Warning. Sexual Assault Content * Today I'm 100 days sober. Getting sober has definitely caused me to dig deep, wit...